Sunday, March 05, 2006

I'll take a dozen.

"Where decisions are made, the Vice-Consul exceeds the comfort confidence."

Beautiful. I don't know what this means, and I think the ad copy was written by someone who speaks fluent english, so it's even more of a bonus. But certainly I like to think that I exceed the comfort confidence. Indeed, I would march smartly in these "vice consuls". Hail Rockport, maker of fine shoes.

And yet, what the heck do they mean? Is that confidence as in to exude confidence? Or is it more like when one is taken into one's confidence? Or perhaps are they speaking of confidence men? I doubt the last, as it wouldn't help sell too many shoes, except perhaps to fans of the Grifters.

Still, fascinating. I really may buy a pair.

7 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Crawdad said...

And not a bad looking shoe.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Prince Roy said...

I've never seen a blog named after a shoe. Or is it the other way around? If you see a Prince Roy model lying around, please do the needful and pick me up a pair. I wear a size 9 to 9.5

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Chris Sellers said...

A fine shoe. Clearly named after the values embodied in this blog:

Decisions ... Where ... Exceedingly.

Comfort Confidence.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is another example of 'viral marketing'. They collect all the info of people who have personal websites and then 'name' the shoe/shirt/pants with the same name. Then they outsource the copywriting to some poor slob with minimal english skills to write something vaguely appropriate for the name and presto - you buy a bunch and start doing the marketing yourself. Worked on you, my friend....

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to think that a / or an 'and' or some such was omitted. No one says 'comfort confidence'...no one I know. Maybe comfortable confidence; confident comfort; comfortable confidence men; confident comfort women....and on and on. Where have all the good copy editors gone? And Crawdad, where did you dig this up?

 
At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow is that funny.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Crawdad said...

Colin, did you ever read The Crying of Lot 49?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page