Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Welterweights

When I was growing up, I somehow managed to watch a fair amount of boxing, much of it with my father. I have his general preference for middleweights over heavyweights, for example. But most people turn out for the heavyweight fights. Which class is better, now that's the question.

Which is the way I feel about India's armed forces. Sure, the army's the heavyweight. They've clearly got a PR machine, where they whip out classic one-liners ("how's my parking" indeed). But consider if you will the Coast Guard and the Air Force. Nimble, thrifty, forced to compete with a juggernaut. And what do they turn out?

Are you ok with swagger? Confidence? Are you maybe thinking "Talk to me Goose!" Yes, baby, top gun. Top Gun! What are these guys' nicknames? Not Dimple, not Baby. No, these are men who are ready to face the challenge. Air Warriors. (In other news, I hope you can see this picture, at least when you get the larger version. Shooting pics from a rickshaw is tough sometimes. And they don't really understand when you say, "Ooh! Pull over so I can take a picture of that ad."

Next! Here's a counterpuncher for you. Swarming all over you, throwing you a hook, shouting "Feel the Thrill, sucka!" Ok, they're not doing that at all. But you have to give the Coast Guard credit, they manage to get more images onto a billboard than any of the other services. They seem to be saying, "we can afford all kinds of stuff, check it out." I don't know, I associate "feel the thrill" more with maybe bungee jumping, but maybe that's what the new Indian generation is all about? Of course, what's the US Coast Guard catch phrase? I don't know either....

I still haven't found a navy. Maybe the coast guard is the navy? I don't think so, as I believe the Indians and the Chinese recently held joint naval exercises, but that's just a stray memory from somewhere.

Anyway, judge as you like. I'll try to pop a few more pictures up if I can. I love this place.

8 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Crawdad said...

A few of my favorite boxers:
- Marvin Hagler - actually changed his first name legally to 'Marvelous,' so he would always be Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Never got the respect he deserved, and while he may have been outboxed by Sugar Ray Leonard, probably never got the benefit of the doubt from the judgees.

- Sugar Ray Robinson. Of course. The best ever. Could do it all.

- Barry McGuigan. Legendary Irish boxer, full of heart.

- Roberto Duran. I always felt a little sorry for him. Hands of stone, but never seemed to connect in the really big fights. Still, a great fighter, part of the Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran group.

Do today's boxers even come close to these guys? Kosta Tszyu maybe. Or Floyd Mayweather, he's pretty incredible. Anyway, just a brief reminiscence...

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Chris Sellers said...

The whirlwind of ads continues -- how cool. I feel pulled along in a rickshaw myself.

I would guess that India has a navy. A 5000-year-old nation with nuclear warheads is going to want to put some of those nukes on a submarine, just because they can. They would call that submarine the....

My Deities & Demigods shows no mention of an ocean god for India. Lots of storms, wars, and death (and one person standing up idiosyncratically for order), but no oceans.

So maybe they don't have a navy after all.

They could still get one. Yama's Water Buffalo shows promise, even if he is unnamed.

(Or maybe I'm just on the wrong page...)

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, India does have a Navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Navy

Nice pics.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Crawdad said...

Yes, yes, India does have a navy! Thanks Karthik. (I swear, I never really doubted this. Actually, at the President's speech tonight, he mentioned the Navy, and I thought, "why couldn't he have spoken a few days ago about this?"

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

Any pics from Dubya's visit?

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These ads are just crying out for photoshop. I want to see Crawdad marching smartly!

Very cool site- I'll keep checking in.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Crawdad said...

wow, that wikipedia link is great.

I posted one pic from behind the scenes. I had a great pic of the Prez with the kids, but obviously can't put that one out for public consumption. I'm sure parents would not like that... I certainly wouldn't.

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craw, I must say you hit some good ones, but in the boxing world, how about some of the older guys? The brown bomber comes to mind. But, yeah, marvelous marvin....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page