Thursday, February 09, 2006

Poem #5: The Gift

I want to give you something, my child,
for we are drifting in the stream of the world.
Our lives will be carried apart,
and our love forgotten.
But I am not so foolish as to hope that
I could buy your heart with my gifts.
Young is your life, your path long, and
you drink the love we bring you at one draught
and turn and run away from us.
You have your play and your playmates.
What harm is there if you have no time
or thought for us.

We, indeed, have leisure enough in old age
to count the days that are past,
to cherish in our hearts what our
hands have lost for ever.
The river runs swift with a song,
breaking through all barriers.
But the mountain stays and remembers,
and follows her with his love.

--Rabindranath Tagore (From 'The Crescent Moon')

4 Comments:

At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another poem for comparison:

The Gift, by Ralph Peters

You ungrateful bastard
How dare you sell the SUV I bought you?
I let you go off to that fancy liberal arts college
And this is how you repay me?
You have been getting more disrespectful since you have been there,
And I don't like it one bit.
I told your Mother not to give you
Any stupid ideas.
She has been a bad influence
Ever since she ran off
With that Beatnik.

I didn't have to drive a Volvo
When I was your age.
I was proud to drive a
Beat up Oldsmobile.
And don't get me started about your music.
You should listen to good patriotic songs like
Let The Eagle Soar

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm...not lost on me! Do you put yourself in the place of the parent ever? Good place to be, passing it on to others, "watching the river run swift with a song..."

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Chris Sellers said...

It strikes me as so bittersweet -- the Tagore poem; the Peters one is just bitter.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Norah Ashley said...

Thanks for a ggreat read

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page