Thursday, January 26, 2006

Off the Wagon

So, I can choose to be positive about this, or negative. Naturally, I choose to be positive. Therefore, allow me to say: what a great 5-day raw food cleanse that was!

The not-so-subtext is that I was just feeling too tired, too low to do much of anything. So, I just had a bowl of muesli, some raw almonds, and some banana bread. Not exactly uber-sinful, but gee it tasted good. I think I'm going to continue the cleansing elements for the next 5 days, but not exclusively. For all the promises of doubling my energy, I felt the cleanse was doing just the reverse. It was never meant to be a fast, but rather an energy and mood enhancer.

I am a little confused, and I do wonder if I had given it a couple of more days, if perhaps my energy level would have shot up, exploding upwards as promised. But today was Republic Day, a holiday, and part of me just wanted to sleep the whole day away. I felt so lethargic, even as I watched an amazing parade (more on that in the next post). Then I remembered, wait a second, I didn't feel bad before I started this. I had quite a bit of energy. Then a friend of mine made a joke about bacon, and I almost started to cry. (Well, ok, that's overstating it, but I certainly felt an overwhelming fondness for crispy bacon... Sigh. All this after a measly five days. Am I a weakling, or just sensible?)

So, my new plan surrounding raw foods is to broaden my sample size of people who are doing it, and get their experiences. If you are a raw foodie, you have my admiration. Would you mind telling me - did you feel a marked energy drain at the beginning of your diet switch? I tried eating more fruit for the good carbs, but it wasn't enough. Perhaps I just needed to eat even more. I certainly learned quite a bit regarding fats, carbs, and proteins in raw, "living" food.

And I think the idea of raw foods is still intriguing; the possibility that raw foods are more alive, are processed by our bodies more easily, and allow us to live dramatically lower on the food chain is very appealing. I just know I wouldn't be writing this post right now unless I had eaten the aforementioned forbidden food.

I also admit to wondering: are some people just, metabolically speaking, a better fit for veganism, raw foodism, or even vegetarianism? Is there something to the whole blood-type diet, perhaps? I'm O+, which puts me in the omnivorous slot.

Any thoughts? In the meantime, I think I'm going to have a veggie pizza and complete my fall from living food grace.

5 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Crawdad said...

It's 3 hours later and I feel much better, at least physically. Part of me still feels like I'll never be in the raw food, high energy, high on life club. Such is life.

Maybe a 3-day juice fast??

Maybe I'll wait.

 
At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fellow O+, let me assure you that meat, lean, red meat, seared, broiled, or barbecued just the way you like it, is just what the doctor ordered. It isn't giving in; it's being sensible and true to your blood type. Try the "red meat cleanse" and watch your energy shoot up!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Crawdad said...

Red meat cleanse! I'll suggest that to the group, and let you know what happens.

It somehow reminds me of the Simpsons where Homer joins the NRA...

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homer IS the NRA...talk about the real America!

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Chris Sellers said...

Go go Crawdad. I hope you can find out more about the raw food, but good for you for doing what you gotta do. It's interesting to think what about a peach may be more alive uncooked. Certainly lions on the Serengeti eat an exclusively raw-food diet. Ah, those were the days ...

And I'm glad you can once again enjoy the pleasures of bacon. Mmm, I could go for some right now. Unfortunately it seems not to agree with my cholesterol... (As Homer once said to Bart, "Bacon up that sausage, boy!" -"But Dad, my heart hurts!" -"Bacon..!!")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page