Saturday, December 31, 2005

I Hear the Train A'Comin...

First post! This is a test and a greeting from India. Alizarin suggested I keep a blog to keep track of my experiences in India. Hence, viceconsul.blogspot.com - based on my title at work (i.e. vice-consul as in second-in-command, not as in "consul in charge of vice," which would imply a very different kind of blog...).

My goals for this blog are the following:

- Keep a record of my life in New Delhi
- Stay in touch with family and friends
- Write consistently!

I'm listening to Johnny Cash right now, who I've really been getting into ever since I saw "Walk the Line." Jackson and Cocaine Blues sure are snappy numbers.

4 Comments:

At 4:34 AM, Blogger Chris Sellers said...

This is great. Are there lots of vice-consuls, or have you just risen in the ranks that quickly?

I was thinking today about how easily I think of your job as a secret, dangerous, exotic line of work ("Secret Agent Man" was on the radio) ... Although I know you're not a secret agent, it still sounds exotic.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Crawdad said...

Oh, I have to be honest here, don't I? Yes, until one reaches the rank of consul, I think we're all called vice-consul. Technically, I think I'm actually "Third Secretary" rank, which is like being the second assistant director.

Also, although I am secret, dangerous, and exotic, that has nothing to do with the job. That's just me. But come visit, and you can judge for yourself (about the job, not about me...). Come on down!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when do you get to be Pro-Consul, or even First Citizen ("more equal than equal" is our motto)?

Great blog, Charles!

Great intro too... but the part about the flesh-eating monkeys stirred up some memories that were really better left undisturbed.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Crawdad said...

Here's the thing - the Pro-Consul here isa flesh-eating monkey. But he's a very good decision maker, and he looks good in a suit, so what can you do?

Why does the term "flesh-eating monkey" remind me of Tim Powers? Remember those books?

Happy New Year! (Nyaa Saal Mubarak Ho, as they say here, and they say it often and with alacrity.... Try it out with an Indian friend, see what happens!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page